header copy

Sunday, June 02, 2013

clean Hearts

Over the past few months or so, quite a bit has happened and there’ve been many thoughts running through my mind. There’s so much that I would’ve like to pen down here in this blog, but busyness caught up with me and I’ve either had no time or have completely forgotten some of the things I wanted to say.

Then today, I guess I caught hold of something good, something encouraging that I wanted to make sure was recorded somewhere. A few things came across my mind today that you could say was coincidence, but I think it wasn’t, but something that was meant to be.

Today, at church we had communion, an act of remembering the powerful act of love that Jesus did on the cross to save me and everyone else from the power of sin. The bread represents the new life and the drink, the blood of Jesus Christ that’s washed away all sin, giving us a clean slate, a second chance.

At the church I go to right now, communion is held once a month and it just so happened that today, on the same day that we had communion, the guest speaker in church spoke on having the right spirit, the right ‘heart attitude’. While communion and ‘right spirit’ don’t seem to have a direct connection, the speaker shared something that did.

He shared a portion of the bible, Psalms 51:10, which says, “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”

In the first and second verse of that very same chapter it says, “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin.”

Immediately, it reminded me of that song I’d heard before when Switchfoot’s frontman Jon Foreman had just started his solo project. Of the few that I heard, this was always my favourite:

Jon Foreman–White as Snow


I guess all this reminded me of what I…. or what we all need to have moving on with our lives. Sometimes we can’t help getting stuck in bitterness, resentment and we may do things we think are right, but are actually coming from a wrong attitude of the heart. Some may say they seek justice but are actually harbouring rebellion in the heart. Some may say they have forgiven someone but refuse to offer a hand of reconciliation. Its important to reflect for a while and remember who it is that should be at the centre of our lives, of every thought and every action.

I think a few people, myself included need to calm our hearts and just ask God to renew our strength, to forgive us our sins, for us to rejoice in the joy of our salvation and remember that we’ve been blessed not to be a curse, but a blessing to others.

I take comfort in the fact that God sees us, that He knows us each individually and than although we have our own struggles and challenges, if we remain faithful and if we choose to have the right spirit, He will work things out for us. We don’t really have to fight so hard all the time, but just have the right heart attitude and let God lead the way as we go along.

No comments: